Friday, November 18, 2011

On saying goodbye

I've said goodbye to a lot of people in the past couple of weeks.  It's a strange thing, to pull back from this comfortable and satisfying life I've built for myself - that is, this life that others have helped me build.  So many people have participated in my pursuit of happiness. This transition period has reminded me of how much we depend on one another: friends both new and old, coworkers pivotal to my career development, family who nurtured me.  There are countless others with whom I have enjoyed a pleasant familiarity: the auburn-headed barista, the AMAZING bartender, the friendly bank teller, and dozens of friendly neighbors.  I will miss all of them.  Of course to most of these people, I'm not really saying goodbye.  This provides me the biggest comfort as I start my new adventure.

If this were a movie, the past two weeks would be a montage of me laughing and embracing people (and eating! oh the food that has been consumed!), ending with a poignant moment to illuminate a glimmer of sadness. To dwell on the departure is to be stuck in despair, and talking about how sad we are about this change doesn't do us any good, so we usually just enjoy one another's company and talk about good times.  But then the inevitable happens.  Goodbye.  The good-bye embrace is different from a regular hug.  It's a little longer, a little tighter, and there is almost always a heartfelt whisper exchange. During this whisper us emotionally muted Minnesotans let our broken hearts sneak through.  After wiping away our bleary eyes we say goodbye one last time and know that both of us have been enriched by our shared love for one another, and this place that has brought us together.

No comments:

Post a Comment