Thursday, December 1, 2011

Getting around

I've been taking the subway everywhere, like others in New York. Before I lived here I had a Saab I loved very much. I do miss the instant mobility of driving but recognize the complete impracticality of it. I actually tried an experiment a few years ago to see if I could go Carless but Metro Transit in the twin cities has a long way to go to catch up to MTA and I couldn't make it work for me. Though I think everyone could do better at making smarter transportation choices. I was on the board of a great nonprofit that helped with that called St Paul Smart Trips. (I would put a link but the blogger app doesn't seem to have an easy way todo that and I'm not banging out any HTML on the iPhone. JFGI)

This picture is of a parking garage (in MN we call them parking ramps) near my office. Note that a monthly parking contract is $600. Also note that an unlimited ride MetroCard is only $104. You do the math.

Today I helped a man get on the right subway line to get to where he needed to go. I did employ the assistance of my trusty iPhone app. How did people get along in this city before smartphones?

I'm going to be spending a lot of time in Brooklyn the next few days as I continue the quest for the right-for-me-right-now apartment. So far what I've seen hasn't dazzled me. We will see how sharp my subway planning skills are as I try to get to unfamiliar and no longer logically numbered places. I might break down and hail my first cab. But I hope not.

Stream of consciousness complete.

No comments:

Post a Comment